Self Directed Statement
This
work is focused on light and how it can change a photograph, even slightly from
something innocent into something creepy. I decided to look into light as it is
all around us from natural light, the sun to the artificial light, a lamp post,
each light is different to a degree and I wanted to understand the variety of
ways that light can be portrayed in a photograph. I have chosen the media of
photography as it is easy to capture light, especially light that doesn’t last
very long such as sparklers and fireworks. I printed my photographs on acetate
as it changes the perceptive and there are multiple different ways to layer and
portray the images, instead of just a standard photograph. I find that photography
produces something realistic but by mixing it with photographed acetate it distorts
and changes the realism into something surreal and creepy. I started to take photographs
of my local environment, as it is easily accessible and after taking a series
of photographs I noticed how the sun can distort an image, then this lead me on
the journey to look at different lights from sparklers to the moon.
The
artist Nobuhiro Nakanishi has influenced my work as he uses photographed
acetate to make a series of layered images to form one piece. Since looking at
Nakanishi I have understood the effects of using acetate and the different ways
to use it such as layering as it distorts but still able to see some aspects of
the image underneath or behind, it adds depth to a photography piece. Another
artist is Ciaran Tully who looks at layering images on top of one another to
create sort of a 3D image. At first glance it looks like there is something
wrong with the image as the layering isn’t direct, it is slightly altered and
this creates a distorted, fast moving paced city, he is trying to reveal. Tully
made me look at changing the way I put acetate on an image and how by changing
it, it can alter the response from the viewer.
This
series of work is aimed at local people dominantly to see the way they perceive
local areas that have been altered. I want people to see a normal street that
anyone can walk down but made creepy due to the way I have overlaid the
acetate. I wanted to show that the normal can change and be distorted.
No comments:
Post a Comment