Sunday, 3 November 2013

Visiting Artist. Stuart Cumberland.

Stuart Cumberland

Friday 1st November 2013

We had visiting artist Stuart Cumberland on 1st November 2013, who is a painter. He works and lives in London; whom got a BA in Fine Art from Bath College of Art, MA Painting from Royal College of Art and an Art Fellowship from Saatchi Royal College.
I have never heard of him before and intrigued to find out what his art was about, the media used, technique and style. After some research I found his work irritating as I wanted it to reveal more, yet just doesn’t give anything away. Following hearing his presentation I begin to understand and see what he is trying to get across to the audience, a lack of emotion. I find his work to be simple to the extent of boring, the colours he uses are either too plain and doesn’t give any feel to the audience or they are to contrasting and don’t work well together. It is not ascetically pleasing. The marks he uses are very big, he uses his whole body to create them but the marks themselves are not interesting. On the whole I think that they make appealing backgrounds and that they should be worked on in order to give the piece something more and allow the audience to become engaged. 
His main artist influences are Jasper Johns who focuses on colour, Christopher Wool who focuses on pattern and Peter Halley which does both.

Stuart Cumberland, 2011, Acrylic on Linen
195x160cm

Stuart Cumberland, 2011, Acrylic on Linen
195x160cm

No comments:

Post a Comment