Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Sculpture. Week 5.

Sculpture

Week 5 (Tuesday 29th October 2013)

I choose to stack each piece on top of one another so that it is not stuck up against a wall like a painting is and it can be viewed on all areas. Using the work I have previously done I continued to develop the  materials I have used and starting introducing new materials so that each piece can balance on one another steady and a create a variety of sizes so that they can slot into one another. I went into many of the workshops such as glass where it was challenging to make a glass bowl therefore I decided to create a flat glass weaved piece so that the sculptures are broken up and there is some subtle colour involved. In plaster I used all the material I could find, chicken wire, string and plaster to create a box shape, it managed to be solid yet delicate at the same time, a supporting base. I choose to keep the colours neutral so that there is not an overload of colour. I weaved paper, acetate and card in the same format, using different size stripes to change it subtle, not obvious. The colour from the acetate is bold and bright but as this is the only real colour in all of the pieces it’s the main focus wherever it is in the set up.  The material that I found worked best was metal as the aluminium used was easy to bend so there was no need to weld. It is shiny this then makes it unusual to the other materials used and to create more colour I can alternatively weave copper and brass together, yet still gives a natural look. As the pieces can be built up and dismantled by the audience makes this sculpture interesting as my peers found that instead of looking at the sculpture they become part of it. To expand I can work more with size so that it is the same size as a person so that they start to find it intimidating. Also as the audience are handling it I would need to find a suitable set of materials that don’t break easily. 

Acetate, Glue, Cardboard, Paper
 and Staples, 2013

Acetate, Glue, Cardboard, Paper and Staples, 2013 

Glass, Metal, Plaster, Chicken Wire, 
String, Cardboard, Glue, Acetate, 
Paper and Staples, 2013

Glass, Metal, Plaster, Chicken Wire, String, 
Cardboard, Glue, Acetate, Paper and Staples, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment