Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Lens. Week 8.


Lens

Week 8 (Monday 18th November 2013)

Looked at street graffiti, how it interacts with the real world, and how the angle that you view it can change the whole image. Debated whether it is art or not, personally I feel that some graffiti is art as they are skilfully placed and have a unique manner about them however most are just scribbles where people have put their name.

Banksy, New York

I also looked at light artist Barry Underwood, who places light in landscapes to create more depth and power to the photograph. The light doesn’t have to be there all the time as the photograph stills time, it shows how much changing one thing can affect an image. I find his pieces intriguing as he creates magical places that if you stumbled across would find quite scary but the photography make them look tranquil and mysterious.  

 Barry Underwood, Ferns (for Francesca), 2012

 We were then given a task that during our break we should take a portrait photo but not of a human. While going back to my studio I walked into a wet floor sign, when I placed it back correctly I saw the contrast between the bright, flat sign to the dark ridged stairs. I took the photo so that your eyes are immediately drawn to the sign but then follow the sign up the stairs to the light. Overall I find the photograph exciting as everything flows, to continue I could find other signs and see what environment they are in. 

2013

 We were then given the task to take a portrait photograph of an object that we use regularly. I choose a shower as it is elongated, creating the centre focus and as the same as the previous project your eyes flow up and down the shower pipes. Also the limited colour creates an almost basic look that you want the image to give you more but it doesn’t. From peer feedback I have learnt that basic is good but maybe a bit more colour so that the eyes have something else to play with and not just an object.

 2013 

For the audio piece I have done previously I thought it didn’t sound like basketball so I took a photo of what I think it sounds like, which is mopping the floor and washing the pots, cleaning. This is a photograph I took to represent this; the mop is the main focus as it is central and closest to you. To improve the picture I could try different composition or focus on just a section but can still know what the object is. 

2013

No comments:

Post a Comment