In the first
year our opening trip was a visit to London’s ‘Frieze’ Art Fair on the 18th October 2013. This is where
hundreds of international art galleries display their work, there was a variety
of different artists this includes sculptors, photographers and painters who
show their styles, techniques and methods all in one location. This was my
first experience of Frieze, and I found it quite overwhelming at the amount and
variation of art compact in one place.


Hüseyin Bahri Alptekin, Elite, 1999,
Print on Dibond, neon, 80x60x8cm
I was able to take away some great
primary research of artists that I have near heard of before or viewed first
hand, as I have found that this can change the overall experience and
observation of the artwork. Such as the work of the 2013 Turner Prize shortlist
nominee David Shrigley whose work I had not seen first-hand I originally found
mediocre and childlike but after seeing it in person something clever and well
displayed. It was an
opportunity to look at unusual artwork that would not have interested me and to
get names of new artists that I found inspiring.
David Shirgley
An Artist
that stood out for me was the French artist Lionel Esteve whose artwork was
sheets of paper, ink and paper dots. After some research of the artist I have
found that he likes to his work to be minimalist but have a powerful
impact. He is known for his experimenting and transforming of objects, he uses
materials he has found and recycled. He manages to create a striking motion
that focuses on passion and strength. His relaxed approach to his work gives
the audience an understanding of the piece and able to find depth. What drew me
to the piece I saw ‘Untitled’ 2012,
were the colours he uses, he manages to blend the colours together successfully
even with the folding and layering of media. He has shown that using the
correct media and bending the material in a specific way can have an appealing
appearance. Also how repetitive movements and patterns can make a piece
interesting. After looking at Esteve it has made me realise that doing a rhythmic
weaved pattern has a strong impact on the audience and that using the correct
colour, either natural or dyed can change the effect and mood. Furthermore the
media used can change the whole meaning and that choosing the correct one is
vital to get across my vision.
Lionel Esteve, Untitled, 2012, Sheets of paper, ink, paper dots,
160x200cm




No comments:
Post a Comment