Sculpture
Week
1 (Tuesday 1st October)
In
the first week to introduce us to sculpture we had a group discussion on what we
think sculpture is. We had to write down one word, some wrote 3D, figure, and
installation. I wrote the word create as sculpture is something that is made
with our hands, there is a model outcome at the end. From this we looked at a
variety of sculptures from Rodin to Antony Gormley and found similarities and
differences.
Antony Gormley, Three Ways: Mould, Hole and Passage,
1981-1982, Lead and
Plaster, object: 620 x 995 x 510 mm, 90 kg
object:
625 x 1230 x 800 mm, 110 kg object: 310 x 2110 x 570 mm, 110 kg
Auguste Rodin, The Kiss (Le Baiser), 1901-4,
Pentelican Marble, 1822 x 1219 x 1530 mm, 3180
kg
We
then got into pairs and one person had to describe an object to the other
giving only three words and the one receiving the words had to create the
object out of cardboard and one other tool. The words I was given was spiky,
fruit and sharp, soon I realised that it was a pineapple. I began creating it
but found it hard to make the main circular shape of the pineapple so squeeze
the cardboard really hard; as I choose a craft knife as my only tool had to
find another way to make it stay in place. With help from my pair we put holes
in the cardboard and slotted them together. Getting the texture of a pineapple was
time consuming therefore we only did a small amount of spikes but it gets the
message across. Then the top bit was easy as the texture of the cardboard made
it sharp, and just needed to cut out the shape and slot them in. It is unsteady
and some things have come loose or fell out but not having tape makes it more
whole as it is not disguising the image. After this we swapped and I described
a cat, which was wade made life size sitting down. What I associate with cats are
mice so I created a cardboard mouse, I ripped the cardboard to create a
contrast with the smooth cat. As this was only a quick sculpture, nothing was
secured, when put in the cats mouth it becomes camouflaged. There was positive
feedback from peers about both pieces as they are lifelike, they could give it
a name, also that there was a variety of textures, rough and smooth that makes
them want to touch it. To progress from this I will add more detail in the texture
so that it gives the sculpture more depth and understanding.
Card, 2013
Card, 2013




No comments:
Post a Comment