Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Sculpture. Week 4.

Sculpture

Week 4 (Tuesday 22nd October 2013)

I expanded my original thought of weaved technique and created different ones, messy, organised, overgrown, and circled. All this helps me to develop my work and she how many ideas I can get from one technique. The holes that are created from weaving changes it from a solid object, light can be seen through it or the audience can peck through the gaps. Peers have stated that what makes weaved affect appealing is the fact that it flows and connects together with ease. I looked at different weaves, twisting, straight overlapping, slack overlapping, and angled overlapping. The tightness of the media can create power and strength where as loose material can make it floppy and overlap where not necessary.  

Paper, Staples, 2013

Glue, Card, 2013

Acetate, Glue, 2013

I also looked at artists such as David Garcia who turns work into large sculptures where people can walk under but still has the aspects of a nest, the overlapping material. 

 David Garcia, The Weaving Pavillion, Bamboo and Plywood 

Lizzie Farey was another artist I looked at as the nests she uses are realistic and that they would look natural up a tree, opposite to what I am doing. I found it interesting how nests can go in many different directions. I will start to explore how they can be put together as part of a group instead of being separate pieces. Being placed in a made natural environment, in a row on the floor, hung, nailed or stacked.

Lizzie Farey, Ash Bowl, 44cm diameter

No comments:

Post a Comment