Thursday, 30 January 2014

Self Directed. Week 18.

Self Directed

Week 18

I continued to progress my self directed by looking into light, such as natural light (the sun), manual light (car lights), and a variety of lights to find how light can affect an image.

I took photographs of alcohol bottles with lamps to show the shadows, I began to manipulate the light to work in my advantage and disadvantage, making some areas too dark or too light. I also began changing the angle of the camera to make it more interesting and to see if there are any hidden elements that I haven’t captured. I used coloured alcohol with a coloured shadow, this attracted me as the standard shadow is black, and it is something that I wish to progress further to see if colour makes a better shadow. I manipulated the camera so that the person looking at the image would feel dizzy as that is the effect of alcohol.
  
My Work
Blue Alcohol
Photograph, 13 x 9.7cm, 2014

My Work
Shadow Alcohol
Photograph, 13.2 x 17.8cm, 2014

My Work
Attention
Photograph, 13.2 x 9.8cm, 2014

My Work
Effect
Photograph, 13 x 17.6cm, 2014

My Work
Drunk?
Photograph, 14.6 x 19cm, 2014

 I looked into reflections to see how a mirror image can affect the audience and due to the ripples in the water half of the image is distorted and I have found that certain lights can distort pictures.  I looked at lights around the environment, and the reflection that they have on the water, but due to it being dark the lights are more dominant as they are two of the same pattern towards the middle of the image so your eyes are immediately drawn. I tried to take some photographs that have a creepy feel to them; I have learnt that this includes limited light and a dark background. I again moved the camera fast while taking a photograph so that it is deformed, I have found that the light forms a new pattern and on occasion can be sinister. I did it again but this time on cars, it has the effect that the cars are moving but also that they are bouncing due to the pattern of the light. I would like to experiment more with photo manipulation and see what patterns can be made and the effect that it will have on the audience.

My Work
Water
Photograph, 9.4 x 12.7cm, 2014

My Work
Haunted
Photograph, 19.6 x 12.5cm, 2014

My Work
Church at Night
Photograph, 17.8 x  13.2cm, 2014

My Work
Mucky 
Photograph, 9.6 x 12.8cm, 2014

My Work
Swirl
Photograph, 17.8 x 13.3cm, 2014

I worked with sparklers as they give off unusual light and it can be drawn with, however what I did was put it in a jar so that the light was constricted. I tried different settings on my camera to find diverse ways to portray containment. Using one setting you are able to see the sparks bouncing off the glass, it is almost magical, and it is contrasted with the dark background gives it depth. I found some of the photographs almost scientific as it could relate to electricity and vaults but also lighting due to the random light lines that are trying to get out. It also reminds me of the stars as some of the lines share the same qualities. I would like to progress by using different coloured jars, or sparklers to see how it affects the outcome and find other lights that can be restricted.      

My Work
Bright Spark
Photograph, 7 x 10.5cm, 2014

My Work
Contained #1
Photograph, 17.9 x 13.5cm, 2014

My Work
Contained #2
Photograph, 9.4 x 13cm, 2014

My Work
Contained #3
Photograph, 26.1 x 19.8cm, 2014

My Work
Contained #4
Photograph, 26.1 x 19.8cm, 2014

My Work
Contained #5
Photograph, 9.6 x 7.1cm, 2014

My Work
Contained #6
Photograph, 9.4 x 13cm, 2014

 Overall I want to try different ways to manipulate light and distort the image, find ways to make an image creepy using light, restrict light and photograph light in unusual ways that is engaging to the audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment